Bud Herbert Motors Inc. is a fifth generation family business serving greater Cincinnati for more than 100 years. Peter Herbert was a furniture maker who immigrated from southern Germany in the late 19th century. His son John A. Herbert, branched off from the furniture business and established an automobile dealership at Knowlton’s Corner around 1916. He sold many makes and models including Ford, Willy’s Knight, Essex, Chandler, Desoto, Dodge, and Crosley.
After World War II, John and his son Quintin(Bud) Herbert, began to offer lawn and garden equipment. Early brands were Gibson, Rototiller, Cooper, Tiger, Gardenali, and George. Bud purchased the business in 1950 and was joined by his sons Jerry and Tom. The business flourished with the addition of Wheel Horse, Simplicity, and Toro. Jerry and Tom took over the business in 1965 after the untimely death of their father at the age of 56.
In 1983, John Deere was added to the product mix, giving Bud Herbert Motors access to a broader line of equipment. The brothers were now able to offer utility tractors, compact utility tractors, and commercial mowing equipment. The 1970s and 80s saw the addition of son’s John and Jim Herbert, in addition to daughters Connie and Cindy. It was soon evident that expansion was needed to accommodate the rapid growth of the business and a second location in Harrison, Ohio was opened in 1985.
Bud Herbert Motors Inc. has grown into the premier supplier of home and commercial outdoor power equipment in the Midwest and continues to offer the quality and service that only a family owned and operated business can deliver.